Friday, December 30, 2011

Beginners Yoga....Ma'am can you slow down for a minute?

Ok so for Christmas Mac got me a Beginners Yoga DVD set (thank you!) because I've been hollerin' that I want to start getting into Yoga.  I mean Colene got all thin doing it, maybe it can add to my insanity workouts....certainly can't hurt, right?  More details to follow...but as usual we interrupt this program for a recap:

Breakfast: Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Breakfast Bowl & Banana (6pts)
Snack: Pear (0pts)
Lunch: Tuscan Chicken Salad - Life Cafe w/ WW Yogurt (12pts)
Snack: Special K Bar (2pts)
Dinner: Spaghetti w/ extra lean ground turkey marinara and a roll (18pts)
Snack: Protein Brownie (post workout) -
Extra Bite: Banana (0pts)

Daily Points Allowance: 42
Total Points Used: 38
Points Remaining: 4
Bonus Points Allowed (Week): 49*
Used (Today): 0
Bonus Points Remaining (Week): 49
Activity Points Earned (Today): 6
Activity Points Used (Today): 0
Activity Points Earned (Week): 21 (Goal is 25)
Activity Points Remaining (Week): 15 (Swapped 6 for bonus points on Tuesday)
*I swap earned Activity Points for Bonus Points first before I start using my actual bonus points.

A quick note about my food intake, as you can see I did not allocate any points for my protein brownie.  This is like the Muscle Milk drink I sometimes take post workout.  I don't log points for these because they are a necessary part of my workout recovery and I refuse to allocate any points to something I need vs. a "luxury".

My workout today comes from Week 7 Day 1 of Inferno Standard.  After a 21 minute cardio start we begin with jump squats (my least favorite) followed by dumbbell squats and then regular squats, repeat 3 times (10, 10, 8 reps)  Then alternating lunges x 3 sets of 10, 10, 8 reps using 2 different weight sets, ending with a shoulder overhaul (shoulder press, backwards arm circles, lateral raises and shrugs).  Finishing up with Abs and plank elbow w/ leg raise, bicycles and standard crunches w/ a exercise ball.  Overall a decent workout.  I hate leg days...just sayin.

So back to the Yoga DVD experience.  I put in the DVD having no clue how long each segment is (turns out they are about 20 minutes each) and I start the first segment.  Now when you read the label it says "BEGINNERS"...this to me says they should be taking it slowly through each pose, repeating and making sure you know what you are doing.  Yeah, not so much.  Apparently even as a beginner you should have a working knowledge of the basics. UGH!  This lady was just flowing on through the poses like I know what I'm doing (remembers Dancing w/ the Stars DVD...oh lawd), "breathe in, and exhale, push down, breath in, exhale, downward dog, inhale, hold it, knee forward, cobra, exhale, left leg straight, proud warrior, arms up, inhale head back, feel the stretch, cat and cow, exhale and we're done!"  Um ma'am, could you slow down for a minute?  I can't even remember when I'm supposed to exhale....goodness!  Now she was kind enough to state at the end of the segment "you will get better with repetition"...thank the good Lord it's a DVD where we have rewind....20 minutes later.  And to boot, WW only gives you 1 Activity point for 20 minutes of Yoga....really?  I was sweating after that bit and I get 1 point....LAME!

Anyway, it was a good day and I have fully recovered (weight wise) from my Christmas binge and all should be well on weigh-in day next week!  Tomorrow is Day 2 of Week 7 as I continue my 6 day blitz to stay on plan.  I really can't wait for Week 9...it's an active rest week...praise be to God, halleloo!  Until then kids...

The one and only,

K

2 comments:

  1. Shew, I've been on hiatus from the world of blogging and being healthy, I literally just read every one of your posts since mid November... haha! Great job! I can't wait until I get a moment to breathe, and a more predictable work schedule, because I am really wanting to do the at home workoutbox. I can't decide whether I want to do at home or a gym... a gym would be so much more official feeling, and I feel like there would be more to do so I wouldn't get bored. But I live in a small town and dunno if I want to deal with that. What do you think? Wish I knew someone doing that at-home so I could ask how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! Good to hear from you! I'm not 100% certain on how the at home version works. My guess would be you need to purchase some small hand weights and a mat, possibly some other stuff. You can always go onto the site and post a log or email them and they can give you the details. I prefer the gym version because as you said it's more motivating and I get a wider range of equipment to work with so I don't get bored, especially with cardio workouts. But it's all about personal preference, some people feel uncomfortable in a gym so the home version works better. Hit Travis up on the site and he will give you some guidance! Either way you go...kudos! It's not easy but certainly worth it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete