Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Are You a Hungry Girl (or guy)?

As you may recall, I held off my weigh in day due to an over active weekend of not so great food choices.  The results aren't necessarily fantastic but a loss nonetheless.  Here are the results:

Starting Weight (on Weight Watchers): 209.0lbs
Tuesday's Weight: 195.2lbs
Difference: -13.8lbs

Over 8 weeks that's an average loss of almost 1.75lbs per week! Which to me is awesome!  I did step on the scale this morning (as I usually do every day) and these figures were even lower, but in keeping with my plan I shall stick with my Tuesday weigh-in results.  Hopefully what I saw today holds up or goes even lower before next Monday and I will be a very happy guy! :-)

Today I'd like to discuss something that everyone may or may not be familiar with.  It was introduced to me by my best guy pal and brother (from anutha mutha) Colmon Elridge.  It's called Hungry Girl.  Apparently this all started off as an email blast site that you could sign up to receive daily emails about weight loss tips, recipe ideas etc.  While that is still a service they offer, Hungry Girl has expanded quite extensively into a full blown website and now even recipe books and a "Supermarket Survival Guide".  Colmon got me 3 of the Hungry Girl books for Christmas to help aid me in my weight loss journey.  I've been reading through them and was happy to find that on their website they list the Weight Watchers Points Plus Values for all of their recipes featured in their books!  That makes cooking SO much easier!  All of the recipes typically yield 1 serving which is amazingly helpful because you are less likely to go back for seconds or thirds and avoid eating more than you should when you are only making 1 serving.  Now of course if you are cooking for 2 or more you can alter the ingredient quantities accordingly.  The concept is that Hungry Girl shows you how to substitute ingredients that are better for you so you can still eat great tasting food without all the regret later!

Don't let the name fool you gentlemen...Hungry Girl recipes are hearty enough for any appetite!  There is even a section dedicated to "Manly Meals"!  I found a ton of recipes that both sounded and looked delicious and I can't wait to try them out.  If you aren't familiar with Hungry Girl I highly recommend you looking into it.  Especially if you are a Weight Watcher follower, being able to cook a meal and know exactly what the point values are is invaluable and cuts down on the need to purchase so many pre-packaged meals!  I'm all about someone doing the math for me!  Even if you don't follow Weight Watchers, the Hungry Girl recipes are lower calorie, lower fat, awesome tasting recipes that you can cook for one or for a family and they are sure to help you on your way to a new you in this new year!

That's all I have today everyone.  I'm enjoying my week of rest from the gym and contemplating a day or two of light cardio...maybe some swim time? I hope you are having a great week as well!

Keith

1 comment: