Saturday, February 25, 2012

This is almost maddening!

I look back on the past 3 months and think....you've lost over 20lbs and look at you!  How great of a job you are doing!  And then I think.....it's been 3 months and you've only lost 20lbs....and look at you.  What's the hold up?

Self perpetuated negativity can be real damaging to your progress and success.  It's difficult to look at yourself and think that while you look much better than you used to, you still don't look as great as you want.  I found myself being glad to reach my first goal, but frustrated that I have such a ways to go.  This type of frustration is dangerous and I don't like it!

I've been reading so much stuff on eating healthy, how to ramp up your metabolism, things that work and don't work.  Counting calories vs. Weight Watchers, wondering if I'm doing enough cardio, am I lifting the right amount of weights during strength training.  Could I be doing more?  Am I eating enough? Am I eating the right things?  Should I be losing more weight?  Why aren't these love handles going away?

IT IS MADDENING!!!!!

I can definitely understand why people get overwhelmed, confused and frustrated.  It's like you try and try and try but your best never seems like enough and you're left wondering, 1. Is it worth it?  2. Am I doing enough?

As I've wrestled through these emotions the past few weeks I've talked myself off of the ledge a few times!  I can tell you that it definitely IS worth it in the end.  Even if the progress is slow and I'm not seeing the OVERNIGHT results that I've been hoping for, I know that I am making progress and that I'm giving it 110%.  I've analyzed a few things and I am certain that my workouts are on point, but my diet could use a little tweaking.  I think I rely a great deal on pre-packaged foods and processed meals instead of creating my own from fresh, wholesome ingredients.  I am almost always within my daily points target on WW and typically NEVER use all of my weekly bonus points, but I realize that sometimes the choices I make in using those points may not be the best.  Trust me when I say that it is a science and it takes some work to get into a healthy eating style.

I have 19lbs to go to reach my goal weight of 169lbs.  Some may say, what an odd number to shoot for.  It's 40lbs from my starting weight, so it was more about the amount of weight I wanted to lose rather than the actual weight itself.  What I find even more intriguing, based on my height even at my goal weight of 169lbs. by medical standards I will still be considered overweight!  In order to be in the "normal" range, I would need to hit 150lbs.  Um, I'm pretty sure at 150lbs I'd look like a starving child! LOL.  Eventually I will try to program myself to look more at my body fat % and measurements vs. how much I actually weigh.  If I'm a muscular 175lbs, I'm ok with that! :-)

That's my rant for the day!  I hope that if you ever hit a point where you feel like giving up, you will look at how far you have come and where you are wanting to be and realize that you CAN do it!  It will take dedication, persistence and consistency.  It won't always be easy, and you may have to try a few different methods along the way to find what works best for you and keep going!!  Any progress is better than no progress!

That's all I have for today!

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment