Monday, December 1, 2014

How I survived Thanksgiving....but crashed the next day!

It's been a couple of weeks since the last post, namely because there hasn't been much to report.  I can tell you that over the last month since starting this venture, Matt and I have been diligent with our charge to cook more meals at home and eat out a lot less!  We have been to a drive thru fast food place 2 times in the past 30 days and they were both over this most recent extended holiday!

The way we have been working it is we go grocery shopping and buy all of our meals for the week including lunch for work and breakfast (for me, as he is not a breakfast person) so that we have everything on hand, and no excuses!  Keeping on plan during the week, come Friday or Saturday we decide to allow ourselves to indulge and pick a cuisine and restaurant that we both would enjoy and have a meal there!  Mind you we don't make a day of it and usually just stick to that meal and possibly a dessert somewhere.  Thus far, this system has worked rather well.

Here comes the holiday!  Our first venture to a drive thru came the Wednesday before.  We were in a rush to get on the road and out of town and were driving a dear friend home as well that we decided to throw it to the wind and eat at Wendy's.  I got a grilled chicken and diet.  While certainly not the healthiest of things to eat, I could have done A LOT worse.  I'm a big gal and I can put down some Wendy's, but I showed restraint.  Later that eve, my brother and best friend made homemade cheese sticks after we arrived in town.  I like to tell myself that he is super skinny and eats healthy on the by and by so it's gotta be ok to eat! :-)

Now where I was proud of myself is on actual Thanksgiving.  We started the day by going to a food pantry and shelter to serve those in need.  After, a group of us ventured to Cracker Barrel.  Again, here normally I would have slayed some chicken w/ gravy, a pancake, eggs, sausage, biscuits etc.  All I had were biscuits and gravy and 2 sausage patties and some apple butter.  That may sound "normal" or even "heavy" for most people, but understand where I'm coming from and what I normally would have done, my restraint for me was a victory.

Now for the actual Thanksgiving dinner w/ my family.  I only had ONE plate!  Not two or three....just one.  And that plate was not piled high and overflowing.  I had a piece of turkey, a piece of ham, some stuffing, a roll, a deviled egg and some green bean casserole.  I also just had one dessert instead of three or four samples of everything.  I repeat myself only to say, this may seem "normal" to most people, but I'm a foodie with a serious addiction to food, so this was another victory.

All in all I took a win for myself on the holidays.  Then came Black Friday and lunch with friends.

Crash....and....burn.

Look I have to tell you, we had lunch at a place called Harry's and they have some of the most delicious sushi you've ever had. One of their rolls is DEEP FRIED and another is stuffed with filet mignon and avocado!  When I tell you I was in heaven, I was in heaven.  I could not turn this down.  I also had the mini sliders w/ a side salad & water to balance it all out! So I was good.

I felt stuffed and yet very satisfied!  Later that evening, when we arrived back home, we were too tired to cook and fell back into an old habit of "just go get something".  I allowed it for one evening with the promise that the next day we would get back on track and get to the store.  And that is just what we did.

At the end of it all, nothing loss but nothing gained.  But I have lost since my last post!

Starting weight: 234.8lbs
Today's weight: 227.4lbs
Total loss: 7.4lbs

That's almost an average of 2lbs per week, which I think is healthy and a good start.  Especially given we have yet to exercise.  Still working up the motivation to get back into that.  It's coming!

So that's how I survived Thanksgiving and crashed the next day.  But I am happy to say we are back on the wagon, we have all of our meals for the week and we are on track!

I will say that I heard a tip on the radio today to NOT weigh yourself on Monday's as the weekend tends to be your least healthy of the days so it is best to weigh yourself on Fridays.   So going forward that is what I shall do.  I'm curious to see how the results vary!

That's all I have for now!  Stay tuned for more adventures from my never ending quest to lose weight!

All my best,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment