Friday, December 19, 2014

Basket weaving is hard to do while driving!

The title, I realize, makes absolutely no sense.  The analogy however when compared to dieting and trying to lose weight should come together for most if not all of you out there who have ever tried to shed a few pounds!  The premise is that dieting is hard and sometimes you can be derailed.

This week has been a perfect example.  I haven't been the most diligent in my food intake this week and it showed on the scale this morning.  This has also been an awakening that after a while, your body will adjust to your new diet and the weight loss will level off and so it is time to try something new, like exercise.

I'll share the scary results with you as shaming as they are:

Starting Weight: 234.8
Today's Weight: 227.8
Total loss: 7lbs.

Now do I really think that I've gained three pounds this week?  No.  I haven't been THAT bad.  I've just reduced my water intake and had more "cheats" than I would normally allow myself and that combination has likely caused some hang up in the systems.  Nonetheless I was devastated to see a gain for the first time in 7 weeks!

It's just a wake up call to remind myself how easily we can fall back into old habits if we aren't careful and that while 10lbs was a successful loss, it is no reason to get careless, but should be motivation to be even more diligent.

Losing weight is an intricate puzzle that often takes trial and error.  There really is no perfect formula for everyone as each of our bodies are different and react to changes in different ways.  For me it's always been about finding a balance between being healthy and not depriving myself and when it comes to exercise making it something that I don't feel like I'm dying while doing and dread doing again.

This week shall be a lesson for me and a good disciplinary mindset going into the holiday week to be sure and watch myself that I don't overindulge just because it's Christmas.  I need to get back to tracking my food and calories so I am more aware of what I am eating and can control my intake better rather than just guessing at it, as clearly that method is flawed!

Here's to a healthier and happier week and hopes that next week I've at least lost what I gained this week!

Have a safe and happy holidays everyone!

All my best,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment